blinkbox Books is an innovative ebooks service with a suite of responsive web and native iOS and Android applications, encompassing a bookstore, cloud library and e-reader. blinkbox Books Android app is pre-installed on Tesco’s Hudl tablets, bringing ebooks to new audiences.
blinkbox Books is a truly ‘mobile first’ service, and this is reflected in our approach to design. Every feature is considered across the suite of products and tailored for each platform to strike a careful balance between native interaction patterns and cross-platform consistency of brand experience.
I worked with blinkbox Books as a contract UX consultant. Alongside product management, design and development teams, I helped to devise new features and iterate the existing website and apps to improve user experience.
My projects included:
- User experience design of the iOS store front
- Faceted search interaction for web and native platforms, scaling across all screen sizes
- Improved accessibility features and display options for the cross-platform e-reader
- Service design; examining customer touch points to understand and improve the complete user experience
- Onboarding; communicating the product offering to users unfamiliar with ebooks
- Information architecture; defining a logical screen hierarchy and platform-appropriate navigation for iOS and Android apps
- Preparing prototype materials for usability testing
- Heuristic evaluation and recommendations for the checkout and payment process